Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August Miscellaneous makes: 2 year UFO, a stripes saga and a basic pencil skirt.

Hey Y'all
This post is dedicated to a few garments that I didn't think needed a whole blog post by themselves.

1st up:
I have many garments hanging in my home office closet, which is where I sew ( I sew in the home office, not the closet lol) that for one reason or another didn't make the cut but instead of throwing them out I've kept them to revisit at a later time to see if I could make it work.
Enter McCalls 6558 I attempted this dress over 2-3  years ago near the time I first started sewing. I was attempting to make view E but with the ruffle from view B but, somehow got overwhelmed when I sewed the ruffles on backwards and upside down.. and it got thrown in the deep dark dungeon with the rest of the unfinished projects that I didn't have the energy to figure out or finish.
I had to chuckle when I pulled this dress out because looking at attaching a ruffle to a dress now doesn't seem very difficult at all but when you are just starting out, and not very skilled at reading patterns well...
I ripped the ruffle off to reattach correctly and afterwards realized I really didn't care for it now. I went with View E, the elasticized top. It was simple, took me all of 30 minutes because the skirt was already complete. I wish I could have lengthened the bodice by an inch or so but the only fabric I had were the 2 ruffles and I had to cut a front and back bodice from that . Nothing spectacular. But it is a cute little dress.
Made from a Teal/Mint striped gauze that frays like crazy that I believe came from Walmart. Its a size 14.      



(


2nd Up: 
So I tried my hand at the beauty of a pattern that is McCalls 7121.   M7121, Misses' Dresses

Oh how I loved every single beautifully matched stripe of each review I read on this pattern, then I tried it for myself and this is what happened. 


So horrible that I hate to even share this. Stripes running every which way. 


I loved this fabric and was actually saving it to make a wrap dress but figured it would be easy to match the larger stripes for this dress instead of a fabric with smaller stripes. As soon as I cut the bodice and saw that it was not matching I decided not to cut the skirt according to the pattern layout (I was honestly afraid of messing up even further). I cut the skirt with the stripes running horizontal in order to save fabric. I sewed it up to see how bad the damage was. A definite eyesore! 
So, I did my best to make the best of it, and used what leftover fabric I had to come up with this.. 
Just added a halter with stripes running vertical

I chose not to add elastic in the waist. 

Such a fun fabric and so comfy. 
 3rd up: 
A basic pencil skirt made from a deep blue Poly-Lycra Double knit from Fabric Mart. (My top is a Stitch Fix purchase from my July fix the 'Wynn Front Pocket Blouse'  Do you know about the stitch fix subscription service? If not check it out here
I didn't use a pattern just my waist and hip measurements. I also added a 3 1/2 inch band at the top but didn't get a picture of it. I took my hemline in 4 inches from my widest hip point to give it a slimmer/pencil skirt look.  




That's it! More later
NaTisha 

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.

    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right
    here! Best of luck for the next!

    Look into myy website;

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Go!